Saint James Boarding School Blog

Advice for Boarding School Students

Posted by Tyler Grochot on Oct 2, 2018 2:28:54 PM
Tyler Grochot

Prior to his graduation in June 2018, Tyler Grochot shared his thoughts on the opportunities available at boarding school and the most important piece of advice for future boarding school students. While at Saint James, Tyler was on the football and tennis teams, participated in dance, took art classes, and was a member of the Investment Club.

I am still in shock that in a couple of days I will be able to say that I am a Saint James School graduate. Boarding school has been, without a doubt, one of the best experiences of my life. It has been a rewarding experience, to say the least.

Despite the amount of fulfillment I have felt here, I still have many regrets. I wish I could talk to my 14-year-old self and just tell him the number of opportunities he could have partaken in. I did not take advantage of all the opportunities that were given to me. If I could go back, I would have gone into everything with an open mind and (seriously) tried everything. They say you should not put too much on your plate, but the very special thing about boarding school is that you can put too much on your plate and still be able to manage it all because of the structure around you.

Some words of advice from me to future boarding school students would be to have an open mind and really involve yourself in everything you possibly can. You’ll come to learn that boarding school is a unique place that will allow you to find new things out about yourself or find something new you are passionate about.

Trust me, boarding school will be one of the best experiences of your life; do it.

Playing football in the fall

Investment Club

Winter Dance Team at Saint James School

Service trip to Philadelphia

Tennis in the spring

Saint James School Commencement
About the Author: Tyler Grochot ’18 is a freshman at St. Lawrence University where he is a member of the football team.

Learn About the Benefits of Boarding

Topics: boarding school, alumni, opportunity

Subscribe to the SJS Blog!

Learn about life at Saint James School, what it's like to attend boarding school, private school admission tips and tricks, and more!

Subscribe Here!

Recent Posts